[RC] When to move up to 50's - Kari Hanes

I am cross posting this to 2 lists so sorry if it's a double take for some of you...

All this talk about LDs and BCs has me thinking about my situation with my part-arab mare. She has been doing relatively well at LD the last couple years. I started training her at five but didn't enter her in her first LD until 6 yrs old, she's going to be 10 this summer. My thoughts are I shouldn't move her up to a 50 until her vet scores are more consistant. A few folks have told me to just go for it - she's ready, but my gut tells me to take it slow and not borrow trouble. I'm not worried about BCs because I dont weigh enough to be in contention for them. We can turn good times and decent vet scores but always loose BC by weight. My mare is getting very consistant with her miles but her vet scores can be all over the place, not bad - but not perfect. Gut sounds are always a concern, usually all As until the end then Bs. Do I strive for that perfect (or nearly perfect) vet card before I move up or keep doing what feels right for this particular mare? How do most of you determine when you go from LD to 50? I have done a couple multi day LDs and she's a pretty tired girl for a few days after.

I also have some ankle-knee-hip problems on my right side and am a little concerned that a fifty will do me in. An LD usually takes about all I got and I have a hard time getting around for a few days after. But I think with the right horse under me I can tough out a 50.

Please don't flame me for staying at an LD level for three years - I feel I've had some issues that just didn't encourage a move to 50s right away. I do have a 5 year old purebred I'm starting this spring who just may be a 50 mile horse in a few years - when he's ready.

TIA
Kari Hanes
Montalee Arabians