[RC] solar battery chargers and polar aire fans - Susan Favro

I had one solar panel put on my trailer after I bought it. I believe it’s made by Siemens. It was installed by an RV service place.

I’ve been pleased with the performance of the solar panel but find that I still need to be very conservative if I’m going to be running on the solar only for several days running. The solar will feed power to the batteries but it isn’t a massive amount. If it’s cold at night and I use the heater, the blower can suck out a lot of power and I’ll need to recharge. If you watch a bunch of television in the evening, the solar won’t be able to keep up your power consumption over several days. But, if I’m conservative I can comfortably go for quite a while just using the solar.

One really useful thing in our trailer is a Polar Aire fan. It runs on 12V and can either pull air into the trailer or exhaust air out. The model I have also comes with a rain sensor so if I leave the fan vent open and it starts to rain, the vent will automatically close itself. The fan has been great when the weather gets hot and I can’t use the A/C. I can set the fan to exhaust and then open windows only in the area where I am or only in the sleeping area. That causes the fan to pull air in through the open windows and creates a lovely, cooling breeze. The fan also has a temperature sensor so it will automatically come on or shut off based on the temperature inside the trailer. If I’m going to be gone all day and am running on the solar, I make sure to turn the fan off and keep the vent closed (in case it rains) so I’m not drawing down the power during the day.

…S
Susan Favro
Healthy As A Horse Network
“Innovative effective products for the conscientious horse owner”
Voice – 406.864.8000
Fax – 559.272.6093
Mobile – 406.370.6399
E-mail – Susan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx