[RC] [RC] Endurance & Dressage- - Trakehners2000 - Sherman

It would be a more accurate comparison if the dressage levels were like this....Grand Prix Level 1, Grand Prix Level 2 and so on. But it's not called Grand Prix at lower levels because it's not Grand Prix, right? And that sort of correlates to anything less than 50 not being endurance rides. And calling it an LD or a fun ride is not derogatory, and many riders go back & forth between LDs and 50s, then throw in a 100 maybe. Like you say, many horses never progress past 2nd level, and they're not Grand Prix 2nd Level, just 2nd level. And if a horse never makes a 50, well, maybe he's a darn good long distance trail horse, that maybe can do 30 or 40 miles, but still not an endurance horse.

So, how about looking at it this way. All  are "trail horses",  they are all "real" trail horses, and they're at training level (or conditioning) to reach "endurance" level at all distances less than 50 miles, then, when they actually do 50 mile trail rides, they are "endurance" level trail horses.....(:>)

Like you say, a horse can accomplish a lower level of dressage and he's still doing dressage moves (not Grand Prix though). However, by the definition of endurance, a horse cannot do endurance at a less than 50 miles. And yes, all those lower than 50 miles rides we ride are highly valued as building the foundation, but they are still not endurance miles. They are  LD, conditioning, training,  or just fun miles.

Kathy

Christina wrote:

I would like to make a comparison of dressage & endurance riding...
it isn't like the dressage community considers training level not to be dressage or not 'real ' dressage.
The lower levels of dressage are valued as the building of a foundation.
Why can't endurance be looked at in the same light?

I get the thing with the runners and the marathon, Bruce, I really do~ they are all still runners though.....just as training level dressage horses are still dressage horses, and TO ME 25 mile LD horses are still Endurance horses....they are just at a different level of TRAINING~  and YES some horses in dressage never progress past second level-  just like many Endurance horses never progress past 25 Miles.

~Christina