[RC] MN Horses Drive-By Shooting - Raven

Do you remember what part of MN this happened in?  I can't believe how many
times I have heard of this type of "activity" in the past couple of months!

Hi Betty ..here's the article. Raven

Two juveniles arrested for drive-by shootings of horses and a cow on
Isanti County farms

By Greg Hunt

Senseless acts of cruelty to animals were carried out in the southwest
corner of Isanti County Friday morning, Feb. 3, when at least four
horses and one cow were shot out of a vehicle's window. Two
16-year-old male suspects are in custody after one was witnessed
pointing a rifle out the vehicle's window and taking a shot.

One of the horses shot was a paint owned by the grandson of Don and
Jan Daudt, and housed on their property. The horse was shot as it
stood in the pasture, close to Co. Rd. 10 just north of the Co. Rd. 53
intersection in Stanford Township.

"I was watching the horses out by the hay rack in the morning, then I
was getting ready to take a shower when the doorbell rings," said Don
Daudt. "I missed those people, but then another couple came up and
said I had a horse down out there. I put on my coat and shoes, run
across the pasture, but it was dead– blood all over the snow.

"I saw the deputy who responded, and he told me more had been shot;
one of the neighbors reported the shooting. Later, I'm kind of snoopy,
so I drove around to look for any more cars or anything. Then just
this side of the bridge which goes up to King's ranch, I saw a tow
truck loading up a car. I talked to the tow truck driver, and he says
they caught them."

Asked if their grandson was contacted yet, Jan Daudt replied, "He's
still in school, but his mom's talked to him. He has a junior high
wrestling match in Inver Grove or someplace tonight. He just asked if
everyone was okay, and he didn't want to know about anything else
until he got back from the wrestling match.

"What's makes it even harder was that horse was like a mother to a
little pony we have out there.

Added Don, "That big one was laying there, and the little one was
trying to nurse on it, pawing on it."

"Like I told the Channel 4 people, I hope they really give it to them
good. If they are that crazy to go around shooting animals, then they
would probably shoot people, too. They don't care what they shoot,"
finished Don Daudt.

Rick Hari was the neighbor to Daudts who witnessed the boys in the car.

"I just stepped out of the house around 10 o'clock to let my dog out
and have a smoke, and I noticed my horses were jumping around and my
dogs were barking," Hari described. "I saw a car right on the road
there (northeast of his house). I thought maybe they were having car
problems– I didn't pay much attention. Then I saw a guy lift a rifle
up with a scope and start shooting. I turned around, came in and
dialed 9-1-1. Gave them a description of the car and the occupants.
Later, me and the deputy went up to where they were parked and we
found a shell casing.

"In the meantime, another car came up, and there was a report of a
horse bleeding from the mouth, which must have been the one at Daudts.
Then I saw the kids drive by a couple more times, the deputy
recognized the description of the car, he radioed ahead and I guess
they pulled them over and caught them.

"All they would have had to do was turn around from where I first saw
them and they could have shot at my horses from the same vantage
point. It was pretty shocking and it's scary, but I'm glad they caught
them because I'd knowing there were still on the loose."

Isanti Co. Deputy Sheriff Russ Monson was handling the parade of media
into the Sheriff's office Friday afternoon. He reported the suspects
in custody were two 16 year-old juveniles. In his office were the two
scoped .223 rifles, black with synthetic stocks.

"Our preliminary report is the kids decided to skip school this
morning. They got bored, then decided to grab their two rifles, drive
around and shoot livestock," said Dep. Monson. "When they were brought
in here for questioning, one was really nervous and remorseful. The
other one showed no emotion and didn't say anything."

County Attorney Jeff Edblad stopped by Dep. Monson's office, and he
said the two would be charged with multiple counts of felony cruelty
to animals, along with felony criminal damage to property.

As of 4 p.m. that afternoon, the Sheriff's Office was waiting to hear
from any more residents who may be just getting home who may have had
animals shot on their property.
F'^q©©ŠÆ¬z»âqêwn­©Üx×­†Ûiÿü0Áéݺ¶§qéÞ´‰ß¢¹š¶*'>‰bs
â±ÉZŠg«†Ûiÿü0Áéݺ¶§qéÞ·ôbuçš”®nÇ+‰·¿R{.nÇ+‰·¡¶Úÿ
0zwn­©Üzw­þ¸?yƦ§ùh‚‰Ú²”buâ螧u?y&Ÿ