[RC] Death Valley, Day 1 - Karen

It's been a bit windy. Nevada riders only think it's windy when the winds get over 35 mph (anything under that is a breeze). So yeah, it's been windy as the local news reported gusts to over 90 mph in the area we are in. The area we are camped in would be great ordinarily, but in these conditions it's a dust bowl (dry lake). I was so glad that I rode today, as I got Chief out of the dust. He's such a good natured and happy horse that you never feel the adversity, only the enthusiasm. Great day for us. All day long we could see camp by the big cloud of dust blowing. It still hasn't let up. The weather reports were WRONG, it just kept getting worse, and not dying down. Luckily we get to get out of here tomorrow and ride towards the Pinnacles near Trona.

We got to see some pretty country today that was really quite spectacular in sections. Things you don't expect to see in the desert like water, green grass, reeds, and really pretty rock formations. We did some rock climbing too. I used four Bares on Chief which worked great since I put them on in the morning and didn't have to touch his boots all day until I took him off at the end. I gave up trying to wrap his feet with vetwrap though this morning, as I couldn't run fast enough to catch it when it flew out of my hands in the wind. As it was, I barely was able to catch his blanket when I took that off!

Riding through the little town of Randsburg was pretty cool. Elfta and I decided that was our new "Darwin". Much more interesting, and fun.

I've had to keep dumping the horses food and water out and refilling as it fills up with gunk. The dust here has layers on it now.

I have some photos but have not been able to post them due to the on-off-on-off internet connection since the wind has picked back up just now. I was just thankful that it wasn't also raining or snowing. In my photos you can see looking back at camp that was the only place the dust was. The only other giveaway is the fact that the horses mane is going sideways. ;)

Tomorrow we have to get up a little earlier to not only get ready but pack up the rigs that are being moved. We'll lose our cell service tomorrow too. Now we can call each other in camp, which is the safest way to do that. Some riders have injuries and black eyes from being whacked from flying trailer doors.

Karen