[RC] Death Valley - Day 1 - John Teeter

[Merri Melde is sending posts in from the ride:
http://www.endurance.net/rides/2006deathvalley ]

Death Valley Encounter 2006
DAY 1
WORDS YOU DO NOT SPEAK

There's the N word Michael Richards inexcusably used recently. A little longer
ago, there was the language of Mordor that Gandalf would not speak aloud.

Here in the Mojave Desert, in winter, during the ride season, it is the W word.
It is the Thing that rips roofs off sheds; it is the Thing that flips
18-wheelers over on the highway; it is the Thing moves big boards as you are
trotting by so that your horse spooks and almost throws you, it is the Thing
that drives billions of painful sand particles into your poor eyeballs and
sand-papers your face.

Usually, the heavy W season starts in the late winter into spring. On this, the
15th or 16th or so anniversary of the 4-day December 28-31 Death Valley
Encounter, it was said a quickly-moving storm was coming, would hit Wednesday
when everybody would be arriving, be W...y and R...y (you do not speak the wet
R word, either), Wednesday night, and it would be nice Thursday for the first
day of the ride.

I did not utter the W word, and in fact, was quite confident we'd have great
weather for the ride. Evidently I was concentrating on the wrong word.
HURRICANE is another word that should be avoided.

That was the current condition for Day 1 of the 2006 Death Valley Encounter.
Wednesday was quite Windy (I might as well say it now), though you could catch
glimpses of a growing ride camp through the bouts of dust that swallowed it. It
optimistically eased up to just breezy by ride meeting time; Dave the Duck,
co-managing the ride this year with Jackie Bumgardner, said the latest weather
report said the winds would pick up again at night, sustained winds of 40+ mph
with gusts up to 80 mph, and die down to a reasonable 20 mph by 4:30 AM.

Well the time mentioned was right? except the winds picked up at about 4:30 AM
? the hurricane winds, and they didn't stop.

Lights came on inside and outside trailers in camp at about 5:30 AM, but they
soon went back off. People started peeking out of their trailers at 6:30 AM,
but nobody was saddling up yet. The Duck said we'd have the ride anyway, but
the start would be delayed at least a half-hour till 7:30, to see if the winds
would ease up with the rising of the sun.

I'd already decided I wasn't going. I can do rain all day; I can do wind; I
just don't do hurricanes. Besides, today is the anniversary of my big accident.
Tomorrow just sounded like a better day to ride. Gretchen was undecided. Nance
Worman, from Idaho, who parked next to us, was undecided. It's hard to not ride
? after all, this is the sport of Endurance, not the sport of Pansies ?
especially when you've come from so far away.

Well, it really couldn't get much worse, and it could really only get better
(right?), so people started saddling up in the gale force winds. Gretchen took
Raffiq's blanket off to brush him, but she didn't get very far before she put
the blanket back on and decided to ride another day. Nance chose to pass up
today also.

Down near the starting line, where people and horses were warming up, clouds of
dust so thick ripped through camp, obliterating everything. If you were walking
into it, you had to stop because you couldn't keep your eyes open.

Then Ann Nicholson announced on her megaphone, "You can start!"

A tough, die-hard, non-wimpy group of 60 or so riders headed out on the trail,
(about 15 sat it out), headed out across the Fremont Valley (where the north
hurricane winds should be gaining some speed) toward the old mining towns of
Johannesburg and Randsburg, hopefully following ribbons that have not blown
into Utah by now. (I heard last night Highway 395 was closed in both directions
due to wind.)

Instead, we pseudo-endurance riders went back and had hot coffee and a good
warm breakfast in our warm trailers rocked by the gales, and traded stories of
previous stormy rides, while our fellow riders braved the hurricane winds on
the trail.

At lunch, all riders streaming in weren't complaining about the wind (endurance
riders usually don't complain, once they're out there), and in fact said the
wind was worst in camp. Certainly, the dust was worst here.

The wind howled all day; it seems like our mountain range had the worst
forecast of all, sustained winds of 40 mph, gusts up to 60. (Only 60!) Michelle
Rousch finished first in the 50, and I believe all but 3 or 5 riders completed
the ride.

Winds are supposed to calm down for tomorrow, really!
Read more of Merri's equine journey through life at
http://blog.theequestrianvagabond.com/