Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [SPAM] Re: [RC] [RC] Dodge Truck Question... - Mary Ann Spencer

My jake brake only makes a hissing sound when just running.  When braking, it sounds like a slightly noisier muffler... not much more noise than the diese engine it self or maybe about the same.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [SPAM] Re: [RC] [RC] Dodge Truck Question...

I Googled (is that a word) Jake Brake - even misspelled it and this one
of the link that came up. It does a pretty good job explaining why they
are baned many places and why if you use them - the locals will have
your hide.

http://or.essortment.com/jakebraketruck_raio.htm

Ford - most likely Allison which is owned by Ford - has (and I think
Chevy uses the same design in their five speed diesel automatic
transmission, maybe even the same transmission) what they call tow haul.
Disels are not very good a compression braking. That's why the exhaust
brake, a.k.a. Jake Brake was developed for semis. In the tow haul mode
the Ford (and Chevy) will enable the vehicle to use compression braking
to slow you down or to keep a consistent speed going down a long grade.
It works pretty well. I don't know exactly how it works but I suspect it
has something to do with retarding the timing and maybe even closing the
turbo off to restrict the exhaust while playing some games in the
transmission.

Truman

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked.
Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to