[RC] diesel trucks-set up your priorities for now and in the next 5 yrs - Mary Ann Spencer

I just bought my first diesel truck.  Went almost all the way:  2007 4x4 duelly, crew cab, 8 ft bed, CANDY APPLE Red Dodge cuz Ford won't make that color in the super duty.  I will be towing a 28 ft 2 horse with living quarters that is older model steel, not aluminum.

I had a jake brake installed before I bought it along with at the disappearing gooseneck connection.

A friend towed the horse trailer down from IA with a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel crew cab with 8 ft bed..  It towed fine but braking was slow and the headlights tilted so bad he had to drive in daylight only.

I towed it from his place to mine with my new 3500 and had NO problems with braking.  Granted Central TX doesn't have great mountains but there are a good amount of rolling hills.  It towed just fine and the braking was no problem.  I put on the jake brake just to try it.  Seems the jake brake really cuts down on fuel economy.  When the brake was first on I drove around  with it in town and did not have to use regular brake except to come to a complete stop.

These diesel trucks are quite expensive but the engine lasts much longer than a gas one.  That is why you need to plan ahead.

HOWEVER:  I could not decide which 'brush guard' to put over the grill etc.  Bad news is I hit a ^&*( deer about day ten of having my new truck.  Now have some repairs to get done.  IF YOU HAVE TO HIT A DEER AT 60 MPH YOU NEED TO DO IT IN A ONE TON DUELLY.  Only felt like a bump in the road.  Just what is it that makes those damn deer go suicidal anyway!!!!

There is a place that makes replacement grills for Ford and Dodge that has horses in it.  I am checking out that option for the repairs.

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.