Re: [RC] diesel trucks-set up your priorities for now and in the next 5 yrs - Mike Lewis

It is a Dodge Truck thing.  I backed into my gooseneck hitch 2 weeks after
buying my new '06 Ram 3500.  It was dark, and I wasn't paying attention.
Had the tailgate off the truck.  Took it to a body shop and the truck is
now good as new.  A friend bought a new Ram 1500 and dented the front
bumper within 3 days of ownership.  Pulled it out, good as new.

I'm coming from a '91 Ford F-350 diesel that couldn't get out of its own
way.  I love Ford trucks but just couldn't risk their current diesel
engine, now could I stomach the price when my dealer wouldn't go less than
3% above invoice.  I paid nearly $11k less than stick for my Dodge.  It'll
spin the tires taking off in 2nd gear with the gooseneck horse trailer on
it (no horses aboard!!)

At any rate, good luck with your truck.  I have the Jake (not a true Jake)
brake on my truck and love it... haven't noted any decrease in fuel
mileage with it turned on.  If you want a truly awesome brake controller,
try the Dr. Performance "Brakesmart" controller--it is like your trailer
isn't even back there...  That, your jake, and the manual transmission
will make towing so much easier and more fun.

--- Mary Ann Spencer <maryann.spencer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just bought my first diesel truck.  Went almost all the way:  2007 4x4
duelly, crew cab, 8 ft bed, CANDY APPLE Red Dodge cuz Ford won't make
that color in the super duty.  I will be towing a 28 ft 2 horse with
living quarters that is older model steel, not aluminum.

I had a jake brake installed before I bought it along with at the
disappearing gooseneck connection.

A friend towed the horse trailer down from IA with a Dodge 3/4 ton
diesel crew cab with 8 ft bed..  It towed fine but braking was slow and
the headlights tilted so bad he had to drive in daylight only.

I towed it from his place to mine with my new 3500 and had NO problems
with braking.  Granted Central TX doesn't have great mountains but there
are a good amount of rolling hills.  It towed just fine and the braking
was no problem.  I put on the jake brake just to try it.  Seems the jake
brake really cuts down on fuel economy.  When the brake was first on I
drove around  with it in town and did not have to use regular brake
except to come to a complete stop.

These diesel trucks are quite expensive but the engine lasts much longer
than a gas one.  That is why you need to plan ahead.

HOWEVER:  I could not decide which 'brush guard' to put over the grill
etc.  Bad news is I hit a ^&*( deer about day ten of having my new
truck.  Now have some repairs to get done.  IF YOU HAVE TO HIT A DEER AT
60 MPH YOU NEED TO DO IT IN A ONE TON DUELLY.  Only felt like a bump in
the road.  Just what is it that makes those damn deer go suicidal
anyway!!!!

There is a place that makes replacement grills for Ford and Dodge that
has horses in it.  I am checking out that option for the repairs.

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.