RE: [RC] The Meaning of Endurance Riding - Bob Morris

Title: Message
Steph:

Not sure that the opinions of an old man are what you are looking at but here they are. I will assure you that some of them are not politically correct. So, if non-PC statements are offensive they can easily be deleted.

My views are based on, as well as biased by, the results of observing endurance competition since 1977.

The topic under discussion,  the concept of Endurance 'Riding' vs Endurance 'Racing', is interesting from the view point of the differing social entities engaged. I speak mainly of those in the United States but also, as almost an after thought, those of other countries.

In the US we have three distinct types of competitors. Those DRIVEN to succeed (type A business types). We then have those who will try hard but will inevitably be middle of the pack finishers because of a lack of commitment. The third type of competitor are the ones out there for the fun, the companionship and the trail. Of course there are those who blend between the classes, there are no distinct lines of demarcation.

These describe the US competitor but then there is a definite classification of "foreign" competitor that does not fit these classifications. (one of the faults of assigning classification) Let us call this the Euro/Arab type even though the extent of this type is well beyond those geographic bounds.This competitor is used to engaging in the so called "sport of kings". It is their born right or destiny. Equestrian sports are not for the commoner but for the privileged. It is expected of them to win. Second place does not exist.

So, how does this set of classifications relate to Endurance competition in the USA?

There will always be the "Type A" competitor. They will always strive for the top, but in contrast to their Euro/Arab counterpart, they will have the welfare of the horse always in the back of their mind, tempering their extreme competitiveness.They will not knowingly harm the horse in order to win. Thus, on the WORLD scene they will seldom win in total international competition.They will compete and give their best efforts but will always consider the welfare of the horse. Their counterparts are willing to  win even if it means the horse will not compete again.

So, Endurance 'Riding' vs. Endurance 'Racing' We will continue to have the endurance riding, long may it live, but we will still experience the endurance racing, in our own form providing for the horse. As for all out ENDURANCE RACING, I am afraid that our horse first attitude will leave us on the fringes of that scene though we will give it our best effort.

As you are aware, it is not easy to have philosophic discussions on line. Perhaps this could be discussed at the RC breakfast in San Antonio.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID