RE: [RC] The Meaning of Endurance Riding - CarolLHorne

Some thoughts...

will the rest of the world eventually be more like the US? as their riders mature, their experience grows? Will they value the horse and rider that log thousands of miles as much, or more than the horse and rider that win championships? Will they compete less and complete more?

or will we eventually change? as our next generation  of riders grows up with a more global view of the sport and perhaps set their sites on International competition, championship victories? or will our sport split, into Endurance Riding and Endurance Racing ? Are they compatible? AERC seems to try to embrace both styles - awarding high point riders and horses as well as high mileage and career achievements. is this sustainable?

thoughts? It would especially be fun to hear from some new folks out there -

My opinion -

I don't know what the rest of the world will do.  I do know that I had hopes/dreams of maybe competing in an FEI ride someday.....who doesn't dream....but with the cost of the entrance fees, passports, this fee and that fee it is unobtainable for me.  I will have to stick with AERC, which is just fine with me.  I have been riding off an on for several years in between having my two daughters. AERC allows me to get my competitive side out.  It is my passion.  I may never compete in a hundred mile ride....but it's like a carrot to a mule...it keeps me going trying, hoping and dreaming of eventually completing a 100 mile ride and finally being able to call myself a 100 miler.  I would rather be called a 100 miler then a Champion Show "whatever".  I love Trail riding and I am able to pass it on to my children.  You can't do that with showing, you can't do it together for hours at a time, laughing and joking and learning together.  I was able to share with my oldest daughter her first 25 mile ride this past year and we have goals of many rides this year and hopefully our first 50 in a few months.

I have not been to a ride held at the same time with FEI, so at this time I can't compare and give an opinion.

I hope AERC can grow and expand to be able to support everyone and keep everyone happy.  I enjoy things just as they are, but everything must grow and to grow things need to change also.

Happy Trails!

Carol