RE: [RC] The Meaning of Endurance Riding - Carolyn Burgess

I'm relatively new to this sport, but have ridden horses since I was a kid.  I never competed as a kid, the only thing I ever competed at as an adult was hunter paces.  I did like winning, but other than guessing the correct time to cover the course, it doesn't require alot of skill.  I've always love trail riding.  Endurance is for me a way to ride - alot.

To me, "To finish is to win" says it all.  In reality, I don't care about endurance outside of North America.  It is meanless to me.  I have no desire to pack my horse onto a plane, and fly outside of my beloved US to compete.  FEI is meanless to me unless I happen to choose to ride at an FEI/AERC ride.  When I did do that in 2004 at Fairhill, all it did was add a little amusement as we vetted in.  They called our name, we vetted in, and the annoucer said that we had passed inspection.

To me, finishing riding 50 miles is an accomplishment in and of itself.  I have many horse friends who are unable to do this.  Getting me and my horse across the finish line in good condition is my only desire.  Would I race to the finish if given the opportunity, absolutely.  Would I be heartbroken if someone beat me across the finishline, no, it happens all the time.  I'm just happy to be able to get on my horse and ride.

Carolyn Burgess

Steph Teeter <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like to see some serious, civil discussion on the concept of Endurance 'Riding' vs Endurance 'Racing'.

I'm headed back to UAE next week to cover the Presidents Cup 160km event (Feb 18). In UAE as well as most of the rest of the world, there is a strong emphasis on Winning, and along with it a focus on Training to Win. I'm sure there are many exceptions, but as the sport grows around the world, it is developing more as a competition, a 'race', then as a recreational 'ride'. Not everybody tries to win at every event - many use events as training and conditioning - preparation for a time when a particular horse can excel - do it's best. Riders and trainers are not stupid in this respect, but there is more definitely an eye on a final goal of winning, excelling, doing the best ride for a given horse on a given day.

I don't think there are a lot of career 'mileage' riders in most of the rest of the world, at least in my experience and observation. The horses and riders that are most honored are the ones that do well at an event, especially if they can have a career of doing well.

Some thoughts...

will the rest of the world eventually be more like the US? as their riders mature, their experience grows? Will they value the horse and rider that log thousands of miles as much, or more than the horse and rider that win championships? Will they compete less and complete more?

or will we eventually change? as our next generation  of riders grows up with a more global view of the sport and perhaps set their sites on International competition, championship victories? or will our sport split, into Endurance Riding and Endurance Racing ? Are they compatible? AERC seems to try to embrace both styles - awarding high point riders and horses as well as high mileage and career achievements. is this sustainable?

thoughts? It would especially be fun to hear from some new folks out there -

Steph