RE: [RC] EN Article - Lysanne & Cindy - Alison Farrin

The other side of this coin is the plethora of studies indicating that bone denisty is best built in the horse from 18 months to 2.5 years of age.  So, while I want to stay off my horse's back until at least age 4, I want to be putting LSD miles on him, and as Deb mentioned in her article, teaching lots of stuff from the ground.  We have evidence that those horses raised on the side of a mountain self-LSD, and stay sound longer as a result.  This assumes they survive to age 4 out on the side of the mountain, which is also a Good argument for natural selection of brains and sense.  But if you have your beloved foal in a paddock at home, pony, pony, pony that baby from about 18 months of age onward.

Alison A. Farrin

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of KimFue@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:07 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] EN Article - Lysanne & Cindy

My purpose for writing about Deb Bennett's EN article was not to make anyone feel bad or guilty or feel they are going to get slammed if they take a 4 year old to a competition.  I just found the article very interesting and learned something new that has changed the way I look at my young horses.  It is just one more bit of information we have when it comes to managing our horses.  Everyone can use that information in the way they see best for their horses or their program.   I am the first to admit that I never knew that some of the structural parts of the horse take so long to finish growing.  I just thought it would be an interesting topic on EN as I wondered how many riders out there realized these facts and I thought it would be an interesting discussion specifically about endurance horses because we spend so much more time in the saddle then other disciplines even when horses are first introduced to LDs.  I can't think of very many other horse sports where a young horse may be have a rider on their back for three hours blocks of time in training/conditioning or ridden in competition for up to 6 hours.  I found it interesting that it is fairly common to have 4 year olds competing in eventing.  I find that the technical aspects of that sport, the jumping and the duration  would put even more stress on a young horse than endurance.  When do you have to start training an eventing horse for competition at 4 years old to be capable even at the lowest levels of cross country, jumping, and dressage?

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648

CONFIDENTIAL
This communication (including any attachments) may contain privileged or confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this communication and/or shred the materials and any attachments and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this communication, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. Thank you.