Re: [RC] [RC] EN Article - Carolyn Burgess

Dyane:

When you say "rehabbed race horses", do you mean any horse off the race track and retrained for another discipline or are you talking about broken down horses off the track.

My first mare was an older (20+) OTT Standardbred when I got her.  She did have some front end lameness issues.  However, after reconditioning her and rebalancing her (whomever had her before me rode heavy on her right side, which had some issues from racing for a long time), she was sound again.  She did 15 - 20 mile pleasure rides, moving along, and was sound the rest of her life.

I have a coming 15 y.o. OTT Standardbred.  He raced until he was 9, not broke to saddle before coming to me.  Came off the track sound and was immediately put into a conditioning/training program for CTR/endurance.  He was sound when I bought him, he is still sound now.  He was hooked in harness and started training for racing as a yearling.

My new mare is coming 6, OTT Standardbred (do you see a theme here?) at 4.  Gave her 6 months to become a horse again, then broke her to saddle at 5 and started saddle training. She was also broke to harness as a yearling and started her race training at that time.  She will do her first CTR this year, probably later in the season (September?) after doing early season trail rides, hunter paces and other conditioning work.  She was also sound coming off the track.

Do I worry about these guys breaking down?  Not really.  When I buy a Standardbred off the track for this sport, I have an extensive vet check done to see if there is any damage done to them as a result of the racing.  The vet who did the prepurchase on my 15 y.o. asked the owner (she came for the prepurchase exam) if he really raced.  He had very clean x-rays.  And I had him vetted by an endurance vet.

I think a big difference with Standardbreds vs. Thoroughbreds is that Standardbreds carry no weight on their backs when they are racing.

I can't speak to the averages.  I can only speak to my weighted averages, which I weight in my favor by doing my homework on the horse and then having a vet check to make sure.

Carolyn Burgess

Dyane Smith <sunibey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is anyone familiar with the longevity of rehabbed race horses (typically
started very young under saddle)? Obviously, there would be a range, but
does anyone know how it averages out?

Dyane (whose youngest colt looked like a foal until he was 9 and then
somewhere around 12-13 years, grew to be a very respectable 14-2.)