[RC] Age to get 'em working - Sherman

Ray wrote:
No doubt those facts are correct,but we don't refrain from putting a young human through hard work or exercise before they
 are fully mature in the expectation that we will thereby optimize their physiques for later performance.Quite the opposite. And of course a horse costs a lot of money to keep for all those years.Chico the Rebel was green broke and put to work, too hard, chasing bird dogs,as a 2-3 year old, and he's been doing it ever since.He was about nine when I got him.At almost 19, he has great endurance,with maybe one problem in the right hock.I treat him as well as I know how to do.

I was thinking about the human side of this also, specifically youth sports. Yet I KNOW, that many young people cause SO much damage to their bodies trying to be the TOP of their sport that it makes me cringe. Most of us are knowledgeable enough (and not so egotistical as some youth coaches & parents wanting their child to get that scholarship!) to NOT race our 4 or 5 yr old horses in LD. Some probably would, but then, some horse owners also breed their fillies as soon as they ae 3 yr olds.  There are so many horses out there in their late teens and 20s (that are still going strong) that were started as 2 yr olds, that I really do wonder if it makes a difference to wait until their bodies are FULLY mature before putting under the stress of riding & training, especially if the stress is a more natural type, like trail riding, as opposed to cutting, reining, jumping, dressage, etc. I'm guessing that the overweight halter horses break down earlier than our trail horses too?

Okay, I'll be quiet now, gotta get my taxes finished today so I can ride tomorrow!

Kathy