Re: [RC] [RC] Deb Bennett's Article in Jan EN - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: Sherman

Absolutely, and in fact, a friend of mine has a 15H,  big boned 4yr old filly that she's been ponying a couple times a week pretty regularly for at least a year  now, maybe even 2 years. The filly also runs over 30 acres of steep pasture. She was going to do 2 or 3 LDs with this horse this season and is now reconsidering.

**Ponying is just wonderful and a great way to leg them up, get them used to the outside world, etc, etc.  But how much time under saddle does this mare have?  A slow 25 could mean 5 hours on the horse;s back.....maybe too long for a young horse that needs to strengthen back muscles, etc...unless rider plans on walking and jogging a lot...

Then again, it may depend on the horse.  Our first year with our 4 year old mustang we did quite a bit of riding on her (but maybe not really long periods on her back)....but she was so big and strong she "looked" like you could put several riders on her and do Tevis!!!!

Karen