[RC] [RC] Deb Bennett's Article in Jan EN - Sherman

Kim wrote:
I think articles like Deb Bennett's just give us more information and help to educate us so we do make decisions on when and how to start when we "compete" with our horses we can do so with the horse's best interest in mind.

Absolutely, and in fact, a friend of mine has a 15H,  big boned 4yr old filly that she's been ponying a couple times a week pretty regularly for at least a year  now, maybe even 2 years. The filly also runs over 30 acres of steep pasture. She was going to do 2 or 3 LDs with this horse this season and is now reconsidering. She's been told by a vet who specializes in lameness issues that the horse is ready to handle 25s & 30s now. Do you suppose a horse like this is actually ready to do slow easy 25 & 30s? Is that within the realm of reasonable? Will it make any difference in her longevity? Or is it more important to NOT let the horse "race" until it is fully mature, and then, not too often?

Any opinions?

Kathy