[RC] mountain lions - Dawn Simas

<<I don't know how comforting this is but if you are attacked
by a large cat the chances are very good you'll never hear or
see it until it's too late.>>

Marv is correct,this is often true.  Two bits of advice:
1)  Be alert and look around a lot.  If you *do* see it, odds are you just thwarted their plan as they are ambush hunters.
2)  Most attacks are survived by fighting back.  Either by the attacked or a companion.  Ride with someone, and/or carry a knife.

Also, Linda, to hear them purr, you'd have to be within 3-4 feet.  As I was with Apache.  People come here and are standing beside him along the fenceline and cannot hear it.  Not that there are *not* lions in your area, as your ranger said, I suspect your critter is another animal.  Lots of predators out there and they all have different sounds.  Some quite large sounding and more vocal, not as shy and secretive, as a lion hiding by a tree would be.  Big, deep sounds can come out of small animals, just as you wouldn't expect the little chirps to come out of a big cat like Apache.

Karla,
<<How on earth do you ever leave that rescue place? I could stay all day. >>

I never do leave, they are on my property.  Work here 24/7, except for the time I have to go to my paying job...and go riding...  :)

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue