Subject: [RC]   Eliminating risk of mare impregnation - noninvasive
From: Spottedracer@xxxxxx
Date: Sat, December 09, 2006 9:38 am
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would like the Vet's opinions on three different methods of 'non-invasive' long-term mare birthcontrol....

#1 - sewing up the mare's vulva - also reduces the risk of wind sucking.. But still POSSIBLY able to breed (with tearing)

#2 - making incisions along both sides of the mare's vulva prior to sewing it closed. Purportedly causes skin to grow together from the sides - creating a more permanent 'natural sewing' of the mare's vulva - also reduces the risk of wind sucking. Less possibility of being able to breed (without lots of tearing)

#3 - high doses of the PZP vaccine - which can cause mare's to be 'unimpregnatable' for up to 3 years, or possible 'ovum dysfunction' creating permanent infertility.

Although I've NEVER had a stallion get loose on my property - I'm boarding a stallion - and it COULD happen!  And I've seen numerous stallions get loose at shows - and at a few rides I've seen stallions kept in what I consider 'insecure' enclosures..... I just don't want my competitive mares 'accidentally impregnated' - but don't want to risk the complications of an invasive surgical spaying.
- LP
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=