RE: [RC] Black Water Boogie!!!! - Jim Holland

Like Angie, I have never owned a generator (not to say that I won't someday
for emergencies) and would never use one in a Ridecamp at night even if they
are permitted. (Heck, I don't even have AC at home!) Not only does a noisy
generator keep me awake, but prevents me from hearing when my horses (or
someone else's) are loose, having a problem or hung up in something. I have
done some rather odd stuff to stay warm at times and have spent a few cold
nights stacked like cordwood in somebody's motorhome who had a furnace. :)

First, if the Ride Flyer/Entry form says generators off at 10:00, by
attending the ride you agree to comply with that rule. If you don't think
you can live with that rule, then don't go. Ride Managers should rigorously
enforce this with a disqualification and THAT should be stated on the form
as well. This is apparently like the "dogs on a leash rule", which a lot of
our members think does not apply to THEIR dogs.

Second, if you ARE going to use a generator, knowing that you are going to
have to co-exist with a large number of other people who don't have one or
prefer NOT to have one, then please buy a QUIET one. Truman has TWO Honda
EU3000 generators hooked in parallel, which he stashes kinda protected by
his trailer.  I have camped right next to him and you can barely hear them
20 feet away.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm
175 Hells Hollow Drive
Blue Ridge, Ga 30513
(706) 258-2830
www.threecreeksarabians.com
Callsign KI4BEN

Frankly, I don't understand why one is essential....what does a generator
power that you can't live without?  I have a small LQ in my trailer, and
have lights, propane burners, AND heat.  Everything and more than I really
need.

AC? come on, if you require AC on a camping trip, maybe you should just stay
home!
Karen