RE: [RC] [RC] Trailer loading - Jim Holland

Kathy, it's good to hear that Ramsy still remembers! <grin>  Actually, I
don't lounge to teach loading.  However, that works as well.  Clinton
Anderson has a pretty good video where he lounges the horse BY the trailer
across the ramp and at some point just diverts the horse into the trailer.

I just teach "go forward" away from the trailer by tapping with a lounge
whip high on the hip until he understands what I want.  That is, when I
stand beside him in the "trailer loading" position and point toward his hip,
he will step off.  When he does that, I know he understands what I want and
we can move to the trailer.

I then ask him to "go forward" toward the trailer, stopping a couple of feet
from the door.  No feed in the trailer. If he wants to sniff the trailer,
paw it, etc., that's OK...as long as he is concentrating on the trailer I
just stand quietly.  When he looks away, I ask for a "go forward" by a
steady tap on the hip.  Where ever he goes, sideways, backward, forward,
doesn't matter...steady tapping, keeping his nose pointed at the trailer.
Only thing that stops the tapping is a movement forward. If he backs up, I
just go with him, still tapping, until he stops and takes at least one step
forward. I then stop for a few seconds to reinforce that this is the "right
answer".  Then start all over again from where he is, always moving toward
the trailer.  He doesn't have to be aligned with the trailer, just his head
pointed at the door. If he tries to push me out of the way and go between me
and the trailer that is aggression. I let him do that, but hit him HARD
across the cannon bones when he comes by, make a circle, point his nose at
the trailer and start over as though nothing happened. Any "attempt" at
forward motion or "interest" in getting on, gets a momentary stop from the
tapping. One caution...once you commit to this, you MUST finish it or it
will be harder next time.  On a green loader, you can quit on a positive
"effort".

If he gets on, and gets right back off, that's great!  I just put him on
again....more practice.  Eventually he will figure out that it's a waste of
time to come off and get right back on and he will stay there.  My goal is
for him to stay on for 3-4 minutes.  Then I will "ask" him to come off by
tugging on his tail.  When he does, I take him for a walk and let him graze
for a few minutes, the repeat the whole procedure. Eventually, you lead him
to the trailer, raise your arm and point at his hip and he will get on.

The goal is that he will stay on without the butt bar and without the door
closed until I ASK him to come off.  I also practice this when I take him
somewhere. If he gets off the minute I open the door and put the butt bar
down without being asked, he gets put right back on and left there for 5-10
minutes.  They soon get the message that the quickest way to get off is to
wait to be ASKED.  It's dangerous for a horse to ride the butt bar and rush
off the trailer on his own. I don't tie my "experienced" travelers and I
NEVER let a horse turn around to get off.

It's always a bad idea to force a horse on the trailer or bribe him to get
on.  In the first case, ropes around the butt and through the trailer are
dangerous to you and can seriously injure the horse.  In the second case,
you may not always have feed. Pressure, properly applied will cause the
horse to make a conscious decision that loading (and waiting to be asked to
get off) is the best answer to the pressure.

With a green loader, the procedure is slightly different, because I want him
to put each foot on and off one at a time a number of times before I
actually let him get on.

Keep in mind that if your horse is pulled at an away vet check, you never
know what the ambulance trailer is going to look like.  Practice on all
kinds of trailers and he won't embarrass you when it happens. If a horse
hasn't seen a ramp, this may look dangerous to him. (I had one horse that
wanted to leap over it) I built a little platform of 6x6 boards on 4x4's and
I teach my guys to step up on it.  Then I raise one end a few inches and ask
them to climb up it and step down off the high end. When I first started
competing Magic, he had never seen a trailer with a ramp, but the first time
he did, he walked right on...because it was familiar.  It also looks like a
wooden bridge, which will help you on the trail. (Will also help you get
your horse to stand on the scale if you ride in the SE) :)

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm
175 Hells Hollow Drive