[RC] Trailer loading - Tx Trigger

There are as many ways to teach a horse to load and stand quiet in a trailer, as there are trailers and horses. If you have to work alone, one of the easiest set ups, especially for a 2 horse straight load, is to snap a long rope on the horse, that runs up through the front of the trailer, and out the manger or door / window, and comes back around to you along the outside of the trailer. Ask the horse to load as you stand near it, and tug lightly on the horses rope, just as if you would to lead them in. After the horse is in, YOU have a hold of the horses head still, and if they decide to back out, they will not be fastened hard and fast, and you can let the rope back out, as they back up. I personally make backing MY idea, and if they do so, tell them to, and then make them back further away from the trailer in hand. I never EVER tie a horse in a straight load, or slant that their butt and hind feet are right near the door or ramp until said door or ramp is closed. If the horse stretches its neck out to the end of the tie and manages to step out of the trailer with rear feet, and then hits the end of the tie, most WILL panic and pull hard and fight. Much different situation than if they are tied where their feet do not come  out of the trailer. And if the tie breaks, usually the horse will end up slamming its head on the ceiling of the trailer. I saw a horse at a horse show once do just what I described, but as it hit its poll, it dropped dead. At least they did not have any further loading issues....  Also, make sure your butt bar / butt chain on your straight load is at a height the horse can not set back and get under it. I used to actually shut my door first on my old straight load, then reach over and fasten the butt chain, then fasten the tie. Saw a horse start backing out after the door was opened, and managed to get under the but bar, and scrape all the hair off of its spine as it continued to back....until it reached it's withers, and got stuck. (horses can do the most stupid things!!!)

I also give my guys some sort of treat that waits for them in the trailer. A handful of grain, apple, carrot. So, when they get in, it is waiting. Some feel that a horse should go in because the person is the leader, and told it to. Mine do as I ask, and are rewarded for it. They look at the trailer as a good thing. It works for me, and I've not had a problem loader for years and years. Find what works for you. Might not be a single suggestion offered up thus far on Ridecamp.

Jonni in TX