[RC] Trailer loading/our ordeal - heidi larson

I don't know that this answers the backing out part of the trailer loading question, but here's what I did for my stubborn guy!  Like Jim I like the Clinton method, however, human error on my part due to frustration didn't help in this dept.  Scenario.......... I am loading to meet a friend for a day long ride that is about 5 miles of a trailer ride from my house.  Horse has been loaded a few times, but progressively takes longer to get in and scrambles getting out.  Trailer was a new 2 horse slant, very roomy.  I start loading at 8:30 (anticipating trouble) and am supposed to meet said friend at 10 am.  Drive shouldn't take more than 15 min.  By 10 am, he's not in, it's starting to get hot, friend has called, husband explains problem.  I start the "Clintonizing" method and he will put front feet in and then immediately back out, he also rears when asked to load, and wow, he can really hold himself up there for a long time - I'm impressed at this point.  By noon I'm getting frustrated, I'm sure by this point I've screwed up Clinton's methods by losing my temper and have now set my horse back rather than forward.  By 2 pm, my kids are getting concerned about me, the horse, the dinner we were invited to.........will we be there on time, can they help, etc?  Ok, it's 80 degrees out by this time, Ash has sweated in circles at the end of the trailer, he'll get all the way in, but like the poster's horse, comes out the minute the trailer rocks or I move towards the rear, or try to swing the divider.  Out comes the Be-Nice halter.  Now, I'm not a huge proponent of gimmicks, but I'm at my last straw here folks.  Ash has succeeded in throwing his head and snarking a chunk off the bridge of his nose, neither one of us has ate or drank since before 9 am.  (Kids bring me some water about 2:30 and I have a bucket of water in the trailer for when he actually gets in for me and stays!)  My son comes out and says, "mom are you sad? You're crying!"  Nope, I cry when I'm frustrated!! Go figure!)  By the time I think of the Be-Nice, it's nearing 4pm.  Ok, new approach, gloves on, stand at the trailer and you get pressure/squeezed whenever you back or rear or just stand there all sullen....... you step one inch forward and you get released.  Within 45 min. he was loading, occasionally backing out, but all in all - loading!!!  After he'd get in, I'd aggressively back his @SS out and then ask to get in again.  By 5:30 he was standing nicely and not asking to get back out.  He got his food and water, was tied in the trailer while I ate and showered and by 6 pm he was unloaded, hosed off and put away with more food/water.  (Apprx. 9 hours total ordeal, but I was committed to finish it!)  He's been great to this day with the exception of when I got an aluminum 3 horse, the step is much higher, the trailer rattles more, it's a different color and backing out the first time he hit his hip on the collapsable tack room and scared himself.  Back in the Be-Nice for a reminder course.  Took 10 min. each day for the next 4-5 days and he's back to walking right in and he stands nicely til I swing the divider for him.  I also untie BEFORE I open his divider, I ask him to back up and once he tried to turn and come out forward (I don't let them) and all I have to do is say loudly "uh, uh, uh" in my mean mom voice and he'll straighten out and back up for me.

heidi

ps - as a funny side note, my son (who was about 10 at this time) said later at the grocery store while we were watching a kid scream for candy, listening to the mom say no 15 times and then give in and buy it, "mom, she needs to do what you did for Ash and not give in.  Then that kid wouldn't be such a brat!"  Kids say the darndest things!