[RC] Morton's Neuroma - jpascu

Hello;

I'm sorry I wasn't too clear this morning. I'm finishing my book and anything
else feels like playing hooky.
The problem with the nerve is that it has to extend and contract as we move our
body. For instance, when we bend over and try to touch our toes the sciatic
nerve has to extend 1.5 to 2 inches. (beer bellies aside, the reason why we
can't touch our toes could be that the nerve is not able to lengthen and the
brain stops us.) When we stand back up that added length has to be taken back
up as well.
When we ride with our heels down we are extending the nerve, stretching it if
you will. As we go through the ride it extends and contracts with the heel
moving up and down. If there's a restriction along the nerve's fascial pathway
it will be irritated as it's moved across the restriction. Add to this a
prediposition to a problem, i.e. our posture, supination or pronation of the
foot and we can accelerate the problem.
I think, emphaisis on think, that a soft sole shoe will be more problematic
since it will allow more direct pressure on the nerve. This is the same problem
with narrow stirrups-putting too much pressure on the nerve. (Someone mentioned
riding in stirrup irons as the start of their problem.) Having some cushioning
in your shoe, should help, if the problem is pressure on the nerve. It won't
make any difference if the problem is the nerve being restricted. Orthotics,
which I don't believe in, should also help by forciing a change in the apparent
posture (pronation of the foot, for example) which would potentially reduce the
restriction. All of the above in combination should help. When it comes to
chiros vs podiatrists, I'm more partial to chiros. However, I would seek
someone who will educate you about the issue and not just treat it and look at
your whole body not just some spot on it.
These nerves are not hard to find on yourself. Each toe has a muscle and a
tendon that takes the toes down toward the floor (this is called plantar
flexion) on either. If you feel on the bottom of the foot, behind the toe,
while you use one hand to prevent the toe from coming down and the other to
feel for the tendon, the tendon will pop into your fingers. The nerves are on
either side of these tendons, medially and laterally. There are three palpatory
"feels" to a nerve: soft and squishy (inflamed), hard and stringy like a quitar
string (impinged) and not too distinguishable (healthy), (most body therapists
are taught that nerves feel stringy. That only occurs when they are impinged at
two points. Most nerves that I've felt in 13 years of Rolfing have been
impinged, but I wasn't trained to understand that!).
You may get a slight electric feeling in your foot when you touch the nerve. If
it feels squishy, like a water balloon, the therapy is to very gently and I
mean really really gently push the balloon (the nerve), pulsate it in
coordination with your breathing. You shouldn't feel any electric sensations
when doing this. If you do, you are not helping yourself, you're irritating it
more. Be really gentle. When I work with a nerve I barely feel the tissue under
my finger pad. I use no more pressure than it would take to hold up a penny.
This pumping will help to move the lymph buildup. If you can no longer feel the
nerve after working like this for awhile-feel it with your fingers that
is-you've done a good job. As much as you can follow the nerve up the leg and
work on the other boggy spots.
If you want more information on working with nerves you could google Neurology
of Posture, one of my Rolfers Don Hazen. D.C. has written on it as well. I have
to go back to work now.
I hope this helps.
jim

--
Jim Pascucci
Advanced Rolfer

From: "Tim & Carla Brady" <timbrady@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]    [RC] - jpascu

I think part of my issue is pushing my heels down too much like you =
mention for many years, and maybe riding in shoes/boots that might have =
been too restricting and maybe lacing them too tightly.  Unfortunately, =
as time went by, I didn't realize this could happen, so I didn't  =
address it until I had the pain.  :-(   I ride in the EZ ride stirrups =
and am able to stay very relaxed on the horse I'm riding now--he's an =
easy ride.  But, I know this develops over many years, and I did ride a =
horse previously that was more difficult to ride and harder on my body =
and I probably rode in more restricting footwear too.  I guess I've been =
lucky up to this point because I've have not experienced much pain while =
riding previously in my back, knees, hips, etc.
My question is this:  You write "no cushioning in the shoe".  Is that a =
softer foot bed, or a firmer less flexible foot bed needed in the =
shoe/boot ?  Most are saying a firmer less flexible foot bed in the shoe =
or boot is desirable.  I'm also told orthotics work for many.  I'm going =
to start with new riding footwear and go from there.  Also, I know I =
need to see a professional.  I have a really good chiropracter--should I =
address this with him or go straight to a podiatrist?

Thanks to all for the input!

Carla