Re: [RC] Another helicopter crash - Truman Prevatt

You would not land a Huey in a small clearing in the woods - maybe a football field. The Black Hawk would work but I suspect it is quite expensive for the mission. A medical evacuation helicopter doesn't need to evade gun fire, take some gunfire and all the other things a military helicopter does. All helicopters present a risk in takeoff and handing. Even the V-22 Osprey (the Marine Corp new vertical take off transport aircraft) has stability issues if it has to take off or land completely vertical.

If you look at Iraq we have lost many more helicopters per number of flights than fixed wing aircraft.

They have to land these things in less than perfect weather on small roads to get people out. Many civilian helicopter pilots got their training in the military.

If there are 650 choppers flying in medevac missions and even if each only makes 6 flights a day over over a year that is 650*365*6 which is over 1.4 million flights. Over six years that is over 8.5 million flights! The statistic of 83 crashes in that time is less than one crash in every 102,000 flights.

Given that you are probably safer in a helicopter than in an ambulance in rush hour traffic in a or around a major city - especially if the emergency was time critical and the ambulance hand to get you there fast.

Accidents in air travel are dramatic, but when you look at the real statistics, you are much more likely to die in an automobile than traveling by air. I suspect the same is true when air medical evacuation is compared to ground evacuation.

Truman

Elizabeth Chase wrote:
Yes, I think they are mostly too small, and/or they try to carry too much
weight. The medical helicopters I've seen try to smush an entire emergency room
inside.

One consideration for a smaller craft, though, is rotor blade length.

I honestly don't know the stats on the BlackHawk and Huey helicopters, but
properly maintained, they're tougher than nails. I've flown in some Hueys that
have been in service since the 60's.....  I gotta say that I don't trust any
helicopter pilot who does not have medevac experience, so these days I try to
stay out of helicopters. Civilian training just does equate.

Just my opinion,

Liz
MN

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.