Re: [RC] Another helicopter crash - Elizabeth Chase

Truman,

Yep, you're absolutely right.... that's one reason I commented briefly on rotor
blade length as a consideration. imho, any craft should be built to the most
strident specs possible. And all pilots trained to the highest standards
possible. Y'know, set the situation up for success as much as is possible.

And, I hope I was clear that I was giving my opinion rather than stating fact.
I love flying in helicopters; just very limited on the trust factor. I'll
restrain myself from story-telling as there are no horses involved, lol....

I do want to comment on the pilots in Iraq, though. As with the ground troops,
over half to two-thirds are not of Active Duty origin. Not to belittle their
contributions and risks, but that going to skew any statistics.

Many are military-trained, yes, but not the majority, and of those, imho, many
were trained in reserve or national guard units by other
reservists/guardists....  and, for me, an uncomfortable number only in civilian
schools. Guess I've just run into statistically more than my fair share of the
'cowboy attitude'. Like I said, I'm prejudiced. I had the fortunate
circumstance of flying with pilots who had medevac service in Vietnam. (Yeah,
I'm old, too.) Man, there is almost nothing like flying along at speed with the
landing gear rubbing the tree tops.

I understand what you're saying about ambulances as well. Sometimes I think
their biggest safety factor is the way I see many people respond... or not....
to them on the road.

Appreciate your taking the time to give better specs and stats....

Liz -- who doesn't like being the object of concern in an ambulance, either....
MN

--- Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You would not land a Huey in a small clearing in the woods - maybe a
football field. The Black Hawk would work but I suspect it is quite
expensive for the mission. A medical evacuation helicopter doesn't need
to evade gun fire, take some gunfire and all the other things a military
helicopter does. All helicopters present a risk in takeoff and handing.
Even the V-22 Osprey (the Marine Corp new vertical take off transport
aircraft) has stability issues if it has to take off or land completely
vertical.

If you look at Iraq we have lost many more helicopters per number of
flights than fixed wing aircraft.

They have to land these things in less than perfect weather on small
roads to get people out. Many civilian helicopter pilots got their
training in the military.

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index