Re: [RC] Another helicopter crash - Elizabeth Chase

Yes, I think they are mostly too small, and/or they try to carry too much
weight. The medical helicopters I've seen try to smush an entire emergency room
inside.

One consideration for a smaller craft, though, is rotor blade length.

I honestly don't know the stats on the BlackHawk and Huey helicopters, but
properly maintained, they're tougher than nails. I've flown in some Hueys that
have been in service since the 60's.....  I gotta say that I don't trust any
helicopter pilot who does not have medevac experience, so these days I try to
stay out of helicopters. Civilian training just does equate.

Just my opinion,

Liz
MN

--- Sky Ranch <skyranch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Last year there was a fatal helicopter crash in the mountains near here.
Three people were killed, the pilot and two flight nurses.  There was much
speculation locally, among the first responders, that the rescue helicopters
routinely used are too small and are NOT rated for high altitude especially
with extra weight.  Now, this could certainly simply be gossip, I am making
no claims that this is true.  In this case, the helicopter crashed just
before landing to pick up an injured logger, at around 9700 ft elevation, in
full view of everyone at the site.

There is one statement in the article that is quite startling to me:

"Approximately 650 helicopter ambulances that respond to emergencies operate
in the United States, according to the Association of Air Medical Services, a
group that represents the industry. Eighty-three have crashed since 2000,
killing 66 people."

That sounds really high to me, statistically.  Here's the link to the full
article:

http://durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=news&article_path=/news/06/news061202_1.htm

Carla Richardson
Colorado