[RC] Merlin's endurance career and other stuff - Juli Bechard

Merlin, my yearling Paso/Arab cross is going to make a GREAT hundred mile horse! I can tell.? (and everyone should take my word as gospel here, even though I’ve never trained a 100 mile horse before, much less ridden in a 100 mile ride). I walked him to the mailbox tonight (about ½ mile from the house).? Not only was he eager to go that ½ mile, but he snarfed grass the whole way!? He can walk pretty quickly with his head on the ground eating and not miss a step.? Tevis, here we come.? *grin*

I have recently been wishing I had the spare money to send Alpine to a trainer for a month or so.? We are in the process of legging back up after a tendon injury, followed by some pretty serious saddle fitting problems. ?With the use of a good massage therapist for the horse, and a better fitting saddle, he is MUCH better and ready to ride.? However, he is now INSANE!? I took him into the ring for some simple dressage work, and spent 45 minutes getting him to walk up to the log I had put in the center of the arena to teach Merlin to step over it.? Apparently, it really wasn’t a log, but an alligator.? I tried riding him through it. Nope.? He can bend his body in the strangest s-shapes I have ever seen, never taking his eyes off the thing.? So I tried walking him up to it so he could see it wasn’t out to eat little palomino paso fino’s.? Nope.? He can spin faster than a reining horse.? I ended up on the ground, and after 20 more minutes, I finally got him to walk up to it and step over it.?? This is a horse that has had thousands of miles logged on the trails.? Sigh…??

Anyway, if you have any ideas on how to cure insane behavior in a horse, please let me know.? Unfortunatly speed and distance are not our friends currently.?? Oh, and the dressage lessons start Sunday….I figured it can only help.? I’m going to remove the log from the arena for the lesson…..

Juli and the Herd

Alpine (I’m insane….mom says so)

Merlin (what’s Tevis?)