[RC] I'm alright, injuries riders/horses - Skyla Stewart

Snipped from David LeBlanc   *If someone had let me get back on, and I'd fallen off again, a second blow could have killed me.*

VERY good point David!

I pulled Tempoo one time when he fell on the pavement and did a number on his knees, sound as could be though. Why would someone pull a horse that is sound? Because I KNEW if he fell again, it had the potential to do more damage then he might recover from since the knees were now compromised.  I could not bare the thought of taking such a risk with my best friend.

ON the other hand. Just this spring I had a BAD accident when Tempo fell in a hole. Basically a Christopher Reeves type crash. I tore all the intercostol (sp?) muscles in the front of my ribs, crushed down on my neck (like a roly poly bug) hard enough I wasn't able to talk for some distance. Was checked by a GREAT nurse and long time friend at the next hold, she said I was not good to go but it was my decision. That if I was smart I would let them get paramedics in to take me out on a backboard. Well, I had all of 15 or less miles to go on a 75, I was able to ride as long as I trotted it didn't hurt, walking hurt like heck for some reason. Now, I had a VERY good chance that I had broken my neck! What if I had another wreck? Horse rolled an ankle with 5 miles to go, so we didn't finish anyway...sheesh. Ended up with scans and doc visits etc, just needed time to heal up, nothing offically broken, LUCKY ME. Now, looking back, OMG what WAS I thinking!!!  It is ONLY a ride, just one ride in a lifetime. I could have NEVER ridden again if something more had happened, the end of all I love best, over, done, gone, forever a black hole of sorrow, forever a hardship on my husband and friends...tiny bit selfish don't ya think? IF this ever happens to someone I am riding with, they will not get the keys to the horse back. I rather lose a friend then a friend lose their life or way of life. Lesson's learned.

Skyla