Re: [RC] Free Horses ... - Marirose Six

Very good point, Stacey. When I was a kid, my friend & I rode green horses all the time. Some of our friends could afford well trained horses, but they never did learn as much from them as we did. Neither of us ever got hurt either. Maybe kids just aren't as tough these days? <g>                   Marirose
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Free Horses ...

I've been reading this post, see the concerns of others, and have some questions...

What ever happened to a 4H kid raising and training a horse for 4H?
Or do they all just buy a dead broke horse for big bucks, pay a trainer to do everything then compete against the good ole farm kid like they seem to do around here?  Based on everyone's concerns about Kari's friend's free horses, seems that 4H isn't what it was when I was growing up.  It's become another kid event for only those who can afford to hire a trainer and have the trainer do everything with the kid jumping on to show....not the way I grew up.  It was hands off by everyone including your parents.

Just a few thoughts to ponder.
Stacy

Chrystal Woodhouse <Chrystal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kari- I don't know Heidi but I have to join  her in her concern , I know many talented young riders, I would NEVER trust one of my unstarted  horses with them, I love my young rider friends AND my horses too much. Young horses can hurt people and as experienced teenagers can be they are typically experienced at RIDING not actually training a new horse, so what happens to the horse if it doesn't get correct training? Ends up at an auction as unrideable in 5 years ( this just happened this summer to two horses,and one of the horses who had been given to a "good"home 8 years ago, was never trained well  &  8 years later ended up at auction went for meat,:, he was only 7 years old -(  I heard about it two weeks later and was devastated.These two horses were Arab's with good bloodlines but because they were not trained and adults were not valuable to anyone)
My neighbour who is 16 and just about the best young rider I have ever seen was in a very bad wreck with her TB a year ago, too much horse and she doesn't have  enough experience with horses  ( yet :-)) .
Anyway I don't think Heidi  was trying to be rude I think she was concerned about kids and/or horses being hurt in the deal. It IS a great offer, I even thought about driving down to Michigan to check them out myself!:-)   I hope your friend finds great homes for them  ( but to adults).:-)
Chrystal

Kari Hanes <khanes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
11/29/2006 08:23 PM
Please respond to
khanes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [RC]   Free Horses ...

As my original post stated we did discuss "experienced 4Hers or junior
endurance riders". She is not opposed to an adult, she just likes the
idea of helping a child or teen.

These horses have been started as this is a show barn and they have been
shown as weanlings/yearlings at halter. The horses are in Western
Michigan and I just felt that ride camp would be a good place to start
looking for suggestions. I'm sorry if this is perceived as a mistake - I
took it as a heck of an opportunity for the right person.
Kari