Re: [RC] [RC] re: endurance riders aloof? I don't think so - kimfuess

This really does not relate to Lynne's message below but to the overall topic.  Sometimes I think expectations are too high from people new to the sport and sometimes from people not so new to the sport.  I don't think there is any excuse for rude behavior or rude comments BUT we all need to remember that not everyone attending competitive events is willing to be or can be an "ambassador" for the sport who will go out of their way for new riders, new members, etc.  I think it is great that so many do go out of their way but this shouldn't be expected.  Endurance and CTR are competitive events and everyone handles competition in a different way.  Yes, everyone entered should have the ability to show good sportmanship and be polite.  But not everyone has the time, is willing,  or can go out of their way to be as "welcoming" as would be ideal.  Sometimes, I think that this is interpreted as "rude" when in reality the person was actually not rude just not outgoing or talkative or overly helpful.    I run into very few "rude" riders at endurance events.  I do see riders who are busy with their own stuff whether it be dealing with their horses, setting up camp, concentrating on the trail or course, visiting with friends they haven't seen since the last ride, and  yes, being competitive yet exhibiting good sportsmanship.
Kim Fuess

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] re: endurance riders aloof? I don't think so

I'm trying to think from a NATRC rider's standpoint--what would make us seem rude?  Asking to pass, and doing so?  Going faster than they do?  Or alternating gears, some walk, some canter for example?  I usually do some galloping, too, on safe trail because it's FUN for both of us.  One of my horse's favorite things is to canter up a short hill and automatically gear down at the top, usually when we're by ourselves or with a buddy.  That might seem rude.