Re: [RC] re: endurance riders aloof? I don't think so - Lynne Glazer

I'm trying to think from a NATRC rider's standpoint--what would make us seem rude?? Asking to pass, and doing so?? Going faster than they do?? Or alternating gears, some walk, some canter for example?? I usually do some galloping, too, on safe trail because it's FUN for both of us.? One of my horse's favorite things is to canter up a short hill and automatically gear down at the top, usually when we're by ourselves or with a buddy.? That might seem rude.

It's probably rude if I'm leading my horse through a vet check and he lunges at someone else's feed pan.? We already know about the gate-thing, since most of ours are wire gates albeit with smooth wire loops. ? ?If you've been holding the gate for a gang of riders and you see a few minutes away another group coming, I don't think it's rude to hitch up the gate and go.? In fact often someone from the approaching group will call out and say, "it's ok, we'll get it!".??

I'm pretty sure most of us get off of the trail in order to pee if somebody's coming.? And will yield the trail if asked when underway.??

Nobody likes a tailgater.? Risky for the leading horse's back ankles/tendons, risky for the 'gater for tripping, scary for that human IMO.? ?Not being able to maintain a pace when the leader can also be off-putting to the folks behind.

OK, now the aloof-thing.? I've encountered some riders that were deeply into their "groove thang" and not too aware of other humans or just not conversationally-minded.? OK with me!? I enjoy riding alone during competition as much as with someone.? My horse is at his best alone or leading others, though we're still working on that pace thing.? ?

Endurance riders are legendary for loaning out gear in an emergency.? I'd never been the beneficiary until last January when during leading my horse out of a canyon, a branch snagged my stirrup along with its leather and sheepskin fender off without me noticing until remounting, oh, miles later.? Another rider loaned me a matching stirrup so that I could compete the next day, and some other kind person found my snagged setup and carried it clear to the mid-ride/only vet check.??

Lynne