[RC] compression lumbar fracture - Marlene Moss

Title: Message
I came off a horse in 1997 and got a compression fracture of one of my lumbars.  I don't remember which, 4 maybe?  About even with my hip bones or a touch below.  It mostly felt like the worst cramps I ever had and big loss of strength.  No riding for 3 months and that was all the dr said, other than it was better to stand than to sit or lay down too much.  I had to have someone drive me to work for a week, but I only missed a day and a half.  The dr didn't give me any exercises or a brace or anything.

We were in the process of buying land, moving, building a house.  I remember one car we owned amplified little bumps in the road in a frequency that really bugged my back.  I kept the horse long enough to ride him at a walk and trot and then sold him since I'd never really bonded with him anyhow - lazy quarter horse, I wanted my crazy arabs back, they never surprised me!

This was all before I discovered endurance.  I bought a colt since that way I wouldn't have to ride since I was pretty scared.  Then I realized it sucked having a horse and not riding.  That's when I learned about endurance, bought myself an experienced (insane) mare, spent a year teaching her to walk and then starting conditioning.  I suppose in that time I was still careful with my back, lifting properly etc, but I don't really remember any issues (and we moved twice, built a 5 acre fence, 6 stall barn, did a fair amount of work on our house ourselves.  But when I started conditioning and made a goal of trotting 5 minutes straight, then my back started bugging me.  Mostly just dull ache, but the occasional sharper pain as I stood up after bending over.  I just kept working on it (and I'm not saying that you should just work through back injury issues and ignore it, but that with the right exercises and consistent exercise that you should have a good prognosis) and at least got to my 5 minutes trotting goal.

I had occasional issues until I got a saddle that could really be balanced for me and my horse, plus had adjustable stirrup bar position.  I suddenly had no more back pain, no more knee pain and I haven't really thought about the injury since except that I do get an occasional hot feeling in one foot when I haven't been riding often enough!  Now I can trot for hours and never think about my back except that I can't slouch on a couch w/o a pillow behind me or sleep on my stomach.

I hope you can find someone to give you some good exercises that help you build back up.  Massage therapy, chiro can help too, but definitely talk to someone who knows about your injury.
Marlene

Marlene Moss
Boarding/Training - www.LosPinos-CO.com