[RC] re: endurance riders aloof? I don't think so - AmiraMay311

I did NATRC CTR for 2 years before trying endurance and heard all sorts of "negative" things about it...one of them being what Kate mentioned about endurance riders being "rude" on the trail and aloof in camp.

That and all the other negatives I'd heard led me to believe I would try a ride and HATE IT and not do any more.  However when I showed up to do my first LD ride I found everyone there to be friendly, helpful and welcoming to me and folks on trail had as much (or sometimes even more) trail courtesy as at any CTR I'd been to.

I think it's a real shame that folks have to perpetuate the stereotypes about each sport as it really does keep some folks who do one from trying the other.  Because I had such a positive experience in endurance I kept coming back and really enjoyed it.

In fact in 2006 I focused totally on endurance as my goal for the year was to complete a 50.  Having done that, next year I plan to do a mixture of both sports.  I like CTR for the discipline it helps me develop with my horse and for helping me improve my horsemanship and horse care skills...but I also like endurance because it often IS more relaxed and it's fun sometimes to just boogie down the trail.  I do believe however that it was wise that I started in CTR first as I learned so much about horsemanship and pacing that has helped me in endurance and I continue to learn from BOTH SPORTS every time I go to a ride.

Headed to a CTR tomorrow and this weekend I'll probably learn something about HOW NOT TO FREEZE MY BUTT OFF!!!

Tracey Smith (in Texas where it's supposed to be WARM...but is cold and snowy and NASTY today)