RE: [RC] Pain and stiffness after a 50/it can be prevented somewhat! - Karen Standefer

It's not just leaning forward that causes it.  It's riding with our
shoulders hunched up (which is a natural reaction to trying to stay balanced
on a moving object).  It's easy to get into this mode when riding because
you're stiff in the back.  If you concentrate, instead, on using your
stomach muscles to support your body (think about doing crunches with each
motion of the horse) and then shake out the arms and shoulders you'll go a
long way to relieving the action of hunching the shoulders (and it's very
subtle, not overt) and subsequently relieving the soreness you get in your
shoulders after a ride.

My chiropractor was really helpful to teach me how to use my stomach muscles
to support my body while riding so that I don't put undue stress on any of
my back.  If you've done Pilates or any other core-building exercise, think
of those when riding and try to isolate your stomach muscles and use those,
concentrating on relaxing everything else.  You may have to remind yourself
many times within an hour to drop your shoulders.  It's not easy to get out
of the habit.  And, most of us will deny that we do it.  Get a friend to
watch you.  Hunch your shoulders up to your ears and then drop them as far
as you can.  Get your friend to ride behind and notice how you gradually
start raising them again.  Get them to remind you to drop them and shake
them out.

Karen