FW: [RC] Cost of horses - Curtis, Laura \(LauraCurtis\)

I live in south central California, and my cost for one horse, not doing anything with him but trail riding, is $450 plus/month, and that is just basic stuff—nothing fancy, does not include special feed, special shoes, a fancy barn, training, lessons, big vet bills—just maintenance.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike and Laurie Hilyard
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 12:40 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Cost of horses

Looking at Mickey's list made me curious about the cost of horse owning around the country.  Of course, part of it is hugely dependent on 1.) What you use your horses for and 2.) How you take care of them.  I come from a farming background and my horses are more livestock than pets to me - which means no $5000 vet treatment for a $1000 horse.  With the  . . .