From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike and Laurie Hilyard
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 12:40 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Cost of horses

Looking at Mickey's list made me curious about the cost of horse owning around the country.  Of course, part of it is hugely dependent on 1.) What you use your horses for and 2.) How you take care of them.  I come from a farming background and my horses are more livestock than pets to me - which means no $5000 vet treatment for a $1000 horse.  With the horses on the 7 acre pasture out the back door, round bale (1500 lb) hay,  getting their feet trimmed 4 times a year and ivermectin paste wormed 4 times a year, I figure about $50/month/head including the once yearly tooth floating/ Coggins visit and no emergency vet calls.  I also only vaccinate (which I do myself) for tetanus, encephalitis, and WNV, since at this point, my horses are all pasture potatoes.  That is also,  of course, not counting the cost of the land, fence or barn!

When I compete (and I use the term loosely) in 6-8 LD rides/year, the cost rises exponentially for shoes, supplements, entry/ fuel costs, and tack improvements or replacement - I'd say to $200 -$250/ month for a competition horse.

So what's the cost in Southern California?

Laurie in cool, cloudy Clare, MI

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: IRS regulations effective June 20, 2005, require us to notify you that this communication was not intended or written by this TPA firm to be used, and cannot be used, by you as the taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding penalties that the IRS might impose. You should seek the opinion of an appropriate tax advisor regarding information contained here within. PLEASE NOTE: This message, including any attachments, may include privileged, confidential and/or inside information. Any distribution or use of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Thank you.