[RC] Magnesium/Deficiency - Peder and Susan Barsness

My trainer thinks my horse might be magnesium deficient and wants to supplement her with a high dose of it...I don't know enough about this to feel comfortable with doing this...Everything I have read is that horses are much more likely to be oversupplemented than under...It is my understanding that there are serious consequences to the horse if you overdose with Mg...My horses all have free choice accees to TM and get grass hay in the winter (grazing in the summer)...I feed Nutrena Triumph 10 when they are being worked and supplement with 4Plex EQ by Zinpro Corp...This horse has not been working the last two months- she has been grazing and getting fat...The trainer cites her nervousness and hypersensitivity as reasons for her being deficient...

Can someone please give me an idea of what I would see in my horse if she were indeed deficient with Mg. I don't feel like shelling out a wad of cash to have serum/urine testing done just based on someone's hunch...and I don't want to megadose with anything unless I know for sure that the horse needs it. My thoughts are that the horse should be fine in the mineral/vitamin department- I have not seen any muscle tremors/ or uncontrolled twitching, but the horse is VERY sensitive to touch- and always has been-which I have always attributed to her being a hot, endurance racing bred horse...Thanks Susan

BTW the wither information was extremely helpful- and I plan on having a saddle fitting done with one of those Putty pads...