Re: [RC] [RC] Cost of horses - Dawn Carrie

We do a lot more intensive (for lack of a better word) care of our horses, even the ones that we're not riding.  All 7 see the farrier every five weeks without fail (currently, 4 are shod all around, 1 on front only, and 2 trimmed only).  We worm every 2 months on a rotation, do the fenbendazole purge twice a year, vaccinate for VEWT, rabies, WNV, flu/rhino (I think that's all),  booster for WNV and flue/rhino 6 mo. after vaccinations, teeth checked once a year and floated as needed, Coggins on all 7 annually.  We go through approximately $250-$270 worth of feed (beet pulp, Purina Ultium, and Purina horseman's edge 12% pellets) per month, and supplement the five we ride with biotin.  The horses are on 10 acres of not-so-great pasture, with a round bale.

I'm actually scared to add it all up and divide by 7.  <G>  And then there are the inevitable vet bills...hubby's gelding banging his eye on the fence, my older gelding's colic surgery last year,  etc.  My husband and I do quite a few rides (by the end of this ride season, I'll have ridden 15 ride days, and he'll have ridden 14), so the entry fees and diesel costs really add up.  All I can say is, thank God we decided not to have kids!  LOL

Dawn in East Texas (horse poor!)