[RC] Alfalfa hay and ulcers? - Karen Everhart

Alfalfa for the buffer effect, with the increased calcium, and another option is Safflower Oil.  This info came from research done at OK. State Univ. I believe.  I attended a presentation done on ulcers and horses -  especially distance horses.  We have less (about 65%) ulcerations than Race Horses (about 95%) BUT our ulcers are in the smooth cell area of the stomach - rather than the glandular area.  This means that our ulcers are WORSE!!!   Speculations are that it is the trailering and stress of competition, that lends our horses to have the ulcers.

Karen Everhart MEd.
President- Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
email: President@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com

Owner/Operator Horse Calls LLC
Training, Centered Riding Lessons
CTR and Endurance Conditioning and Training
email: HorseCalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.horsecalls.com

620-725-3402
316-648-5082