[RC] re: any horse can do 25 milers - Cindy Collins

My exact quote was:? "any horse that can go 10-15 miles in training at a reasonable pace should be able to finish a 25 miler in 6 hours."? I don't know where the four hours comes from and I stated at a reasonable pace, BUT I stand by my belief that any horse who is ridden (I "assumed" regularly, not once in their lives, obviously) 10-15 miles in conditioning training can safely and easily finish a 25 miler in the maximum time allowed.? Of course, there is always an exception to every statement.? My belief is based on 25+ years of endurance riding and watching lots of novice riders successfully complete rides.? I have never ridden one of my young horses more than 25 miles in a training ride (rarely more than 20) and they have had no problems completing a 50 miler or a 100 miler as their first competition.? Cindy

[RC] 'Any Horse can do a 25' - Mrs Christina Hykw
I have read/heard that comment a lot... and I have to disagree.
I watched several friends horses that were regularly rode on trails
all summer...and even by the end of summer, there is no way these
horses could just show up and safely go 25 miles in 4 hours.? Two
of these horses rode 10? miles (slowly) with me this weekend, and
the horses were completely beat by the end of the trail, so were the
riders.

Cindy Collins