RE: [RC] re: any horse can do 25 milers - Becky Rohwer

When I first started CTR I had a little quarter horse gelding and I was a very beginner rider.? I talked with my vet as to what it took conditioning wise to do a 25 mile ride.? He said about 5 miles of trotting at least three times a week for 3 or more weeks.? I lived on a 1 mile stretch of dirt road, so to start out three times a week I trotted up and down that road 2 ½ to 3 times to get 5 to 6 miles in.? The neighbors must have thought I was nuts.? I did my first 25 mile CTR and finished well within the allotted time.? Matter of fact I think we had to hang back for awhile at the end to come in during the allotted window of time.? So yes, with a little bit of work, I think most horses can successfully finish a 25 in 6 hours.? I don’t train like that any more though, but those were the days back then when I first started.

Becky R. - Montana