[RC] Spook Run - roxanne kopp

Susan - Thanks for the congrats, Eddie had a great day and since you asked here's my story.....

This is our third season and my horse Steady Eddie has been having a good year.  This weekend at the Spook Run ride in Indiana on Saturday we won our first fifty and also won BC.  We only live about an hour away from this ride and knew it had been raining and it was going to be cool but we had missed a few rides already this season ( life intrudes when you have two teens) and I was looking forward to riding.
Because of the rain and the forestry bulldozing some of the nice single track trails the ride was run differently from previous years and included new trail on the middle loop.  It had rained all day Friday but by Saturday morning it had stopped and eventually got sunny but very windy and cold.  Footing was actually good for most of the ride - many of the miles were on old forestry roads which have a solid base and some stretches of pavement, the trail sections were muddy but nothing that bad.  Saturday morning 15 riders started the 50.  I have learned to wait till the first group riders goes out before we start. Starting slower and controlled makes for an entirely pleasant ride than starting fast and fighting him for a first loop.  Also, this way as we gradually make our way around and catch up with various riders I get a chance to chat and meet lots of new people.  Anyway, by the end of the first 19 mile loop, Eddie was feeling strong and we had moved up a few places.  2nd loop was 23 miles and early on this loop we caught up with  Lois McAfee, Kyla - her grandaughter and Lori ( I'm sorry Lori I don't know your last name).  Eddie led for most of this loop and really moved out once we hit single track trail through the woods.  This is his and my favorite type of trail and he just flies - this was an out and back with a password at the turn around.  Now, lets just say I have some memory issues, cause just five minutes after turning around I could not remember that password for anything and Lois and Kyla were laughing.  I was just happy to have witnesses but they kept reminding me so I was good except then no one ever asked what the password was anyway!  By the third loop - which was just an 8 mile out and back, flat with good footing - Eddie was still strong and we cantered pretty much the whole thing.  I kept wondering how long he was going to last " hanging with the big dogs" but on Saturday at least he was a " big dog".
The best ride moment for me though is always when we get home.  Eddie gets off the trailer and goes running around his pasture, has a long roll and then goes over to his buddies ( Boomer and Nadja) and you can just see him telling his version of a ride story.  He spent the afternoon napping in the sun.  Good ride. Good horse.
Thanks to Lois and Bob McAfee for putting on Spook Run as well as Top of The Rock.  Thanks to Bill Wilson for once again hosting a rainy ride that tears up his pasture.

Roxanne Kopp/Steady Eddie/Kentucky

Also - congrats to the finishers of the 100 mile ride.  My helmet is off to all of you - it was cold and dark but you kept at it and finished.