[RC] re: training miles needed/speed - Cindy Collins

Of course, there are no hard rules, but I have NEVER conditioned a horse 50 miles per week and have certainly never conditioned at a faster speed than a ride.? This holds true whether I was riding 50s or 100s.? I haven't done 25s since 1978, but any horse that can go 10-15 miles in training at a reasonable place should be able to finish a 25 miler in 6 hours.? What I find is typical of the average endurance rider who has to work for a living looks more like this:? two rides during the week of approx. 8-10 miles and one long weekend ride of 15-20 miles.? Whether I was doing a 100, a 50 or a five day ride didn't matter.? This is approx. what I did.? The only variable was adding more climbs or increasing speed (or decreasing walking time).? Cindy

Cindy Collins