[RC] [RC] fast rides - sherman

I recently talked to a very successful & competitive 50/100 mile rider who told me she rides 2-3 times a week, 10-15 mile range, in the mountains. Her ride completion times are much faster than her conditioning times and she mostly top 10s since the beginning of 2003 with 3 BCs this year. I think if you were to condition 100 miles per week, your horse would be worn out by the time the ride came along. I’ve never completed a 100 mile ride (hope to some day, maybe) just repeating what I’ve been told.

Kathy

If this is the case I probably should have been doing 25's all my life.
Dinah Rojek recently told me they very seldom ride over 1 1/2 hours.
Steve has something like over 100 100 milers. When I first got in this
sport I read articles that said to train this much and I did...but don't
know if it works because my horses always went lame before the rides. >g<

Angie (whose horse morphs at a ride into a faster animal. No way I can
train faster at home!)

Jeanie wrote:
Christina, rule of thumb.  Your training rides should be faster than
what you actually do at the ride.  If you are going to ask for an 8 mph
pace, train at a 9 or 10 mph pace at home.  Another rule of thumb, if you
plan on a 25 then you need to do 25 miles a week in training.  50, then do
50 training miles a week.  Some even say if you want to do a 100, do
100 miles of training per week.