Re: [RC] teaching to tie with belly rope...NOT - Tx Trigger

----- Original Message -----
From: "Truman Prevatt" > What we do with our horses is let them teach
themselves about ropes,  being tied, etc. slowly. As soon as they are big
enough to know how to  lead and understand, we put a halter on them attach a
lead rope and let  them out in the yard <<<

Of course, in an ideal world with our horses, none of them would come with
"issues", and all would have been started right, and we would not need to
fix things, and also, would hopefully not create issues that we would then
NEED to fix.  But, that is indeed, and ideal world. If that were to happen,
horse trainers and clinicians would go out of business. LOL

By my gelding Hank, having some idiot do a belly rope, and I'm guessing
leave the horse to fight it out, he created some weird issues that took me
awhile to figure out where they came from. The biggest is his fear of things
that look like ropes (or snakes). This includes ropes on the ground, garden
hoses, sticks on the trail, or my favorite, an ant trail crossing the trail,
that has the soil churned up a bit, and a different color. Imagine going
from a nice 11-12 mph trot to dead stop, he puts head down to look at the
darn thing. Yeehaw.  If I rode in an english saddle, I'd be off over his
head.  When tied, he sometimes will suddenly look at the lead rope, and
snort at it. But, we have never had a problem with being tied. Never pulled
back, never has fussed, pawed, or was anxious.  Shoot, maybe him being tied
with the belly rope did work. It was all well before I got him, and can only
consider why some of these issues exist. I've spent time working slowly with
ropes around his legs, out over his butt, under his belly etc. I like all
mine to be trained to having a rope (cotton) looped around a leg, and to
give to the pressure, and actually be able to be lead around by the rope on
the leg. Having one that gives to the pressure, will hopefully save them if
they ever got tangled in rope, wire or  cable, and to not fight against it,
but to give to the pressure, and stand quiet.  Would have been much easier
had I got him before he acquired "issues", but is slowly coming along. Like
any training, some things take more time, and again, we all have priorities
on what we feel is important with our horses.  This is one of my priorities.

Jonni