Re: [RC] Methods to teach a horse to tie well - Sisu West Ranch

Disclaimer: I don't pretend to be a great animal trainer. I don't know how to cure your adult horse of pulling. I don't even know the "best" way to teach a foal to tie well.

Domestic animals and people are easiest to train, if they never have gotten bad habits. If your child receives a mild, but consistent reproof the first time and every succeeding time he/she engages in antisocial behavior, chances are very good that he/she will grow up to be a good citizen. If he/she develops the habit of engaging in antisocial behavior, the chances are that even years of jail time will not change things as an adult.

The same thing goes for horses. It is relatively easy to train a foal to tie, stand, not kick etc. and much harder to reform an adult horse that has developed the habit of not tying etc. We must all remember a few things:
1. Teach things early in a horse's life before habits are developed.
2. Be careful, and thoughtful when attempting to reeducate an adult horse. No technique will work to reform all adult horses.
3. Sometimes it is necessary to make accommodation for the horse's, probably unknown, past experiences. I used to own a wonderful endurance prospect that had the habit of bucking when scared on the trail. After a couple of years, I sold him to a trainer who had been helping me. He now is a school horse for young girls, and does horse shows. Somehow, in the years before I purchased him, he developed a habit of bucking when scared on the trail. The easiest solution was, unfortunately, to put him into the structured environment of the ring. (Yes, I acknowledge that some more talented trainer could most likely have reformed him. I had just run into the end of my skill, patience, and money.)

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875