[RC] Our NC ride - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Hello All,

  Sorry this is taking so long, but when you have been out of town for 1 week, you kinda come home to a wreck in all areas.

I would like to thank Mary Coleman and the Mighty Hawk, and that really nice lady (sorrry, don't remember her name) that was riding with Mary on the gaited Morgan for picking up Joni and Cash Pony at Pickett's.   A real life saver !!!!!  I believe that Hawk could have pulled himself, Mary AND Joni and Cash over Sherman's if he had needed too.  A really nice, BIG horse.  Go Hawk !!!!

Another special thanks goes out to Nina Barnett for taking over the "Joni and Cash" patrol from the next VC, Fichett's.  Nina did a great job of getting them up the Indian Graves climb....even though Cash thought it was too big for him to jump up.  Nina was a real trooper and hung in there not feeling too well for the entire ride and sponsored our little team through to the finish.  We nearly didn't get a completion, when about 1 mile from the finish line, Joni and Cash had a wreck on the same pavement that took down the 50 mile horses.  Cash went down, and somehow Joni managed to stay on.  Poor Cash has never been very good on slick footing, it is that TWH in him, causing for that big up and under reach in the back end.  Great stride, but poor traction.  Anyway, they trotted across the finish line roughly at 2:30 am looking great, except for all the cuts on Cash.  We took him straight for his completion, and he passed.  Good thing it happened that close to the finish, because 20 mins. later, the little guy was already swelling and getting sore.  Poor Nina had problems and stayed for another trot out within the hour.  Laurie (pit crew super helper) and I took Joni and Cash on to the trailer.  I took Joni in the trailer for a quick shower then on to bed.  I was out in 15 mins. to help Laurie with Cash.  We took some hot water and iodine scrub and cleaned up the cuts, gave him a warm blanket, warm feed, some hay and tucked him into bed.  Oh, and Ice boots off and one for about 30 mins.  Joel came back up and gave us the bad news that Nina and Chewie didn't get there completion.  I'm sure it was from the fall the two of them took earlier in the day on the Indian Graves rock.  Sure did feel bad for Nina.  :((

Next day, we were thinking that Cash wouldn't be able to move, but that little turkey is full of surprises.  Got him out to walk him, took a couple stiff steps, then was back to his usual, cocky self.  Gotta love that horse !!!  I just wish that I had one 3 inches taller just like him, for ME.

I want to thank Laurie Underwood, for coming up again, to crew us through that tough trail.  She does great work, and even got stuck sitting in with Rose at the treatment barn for me for a couple hours while I went out to check on Cash and Joni.  I found out yesterday that it was her birthday on Friday last week, and she spent it crewing and collecting pee samples from my horse.....what a great friend.

I want to thank Tom Sites, who always is Mr. helpful.  He fed us again some great piggy tacos, brought fire wood and ran all over helping out.  He also brought me shavings for the stalls.  Another really good friend, and Tom, you might have to put up with us every year at OD.....the more I ride that trail, it seems less rocky....so I will be back.

Thanks for the goody Cat that Mary Coleman gave to the Jr. riders....very sweet gift.  Joni loves that cat.

Thanks to the ride vets, all who were extremely helpful and tried their best to keep you in the ride.  I appreciate the great care and concern for the safety of the horses.  THANK YOU.  They also understand when a horse is a bit of an idiot  (Aries).....and gave her time to calm down.

A very special thanks to the treatment vet and her vet assistant.  Lynn and Jan are awesome.  They really love  to take care of the horses, and put their needs above their own comfort.  I was there to see how that worked like machines as horses came in, and they do a wonderful job.  Rose says Thank you too !!!!   And she doesn't smell like DMSO now...thank goodness...that was one stinky horse.

A thank you to the ride management, they put on a great ride, the checks ran smooth as silk in both  rides.  Meals were really good, and the fall decorations were an added touch.

I am sure that I am missing someone, there were so many volunteers, and helpful people everywhere....so THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jody and Rose, and Aries

and Joni and the super little Cash Pony