RE: [RC] Methods to teach a horse to tie well - Karen Standefer

I've had limited experience with teaching a puller to tie.  What worked for
me is to have a sturdy tie ring at the horse's head height.  I then put one
of those "Be Nice" halters on the horse and tied them "close" (only about
12" of lead rope) to the tie ring.  The response when they pull back is that
the halter cramps down around their nose because of the leverage caused by
the halter and the pulling.  Tying them really short doesn't give them the
added leverage of hauling back and really jerking the rope (which would only
hurt them worse).  You need to stay close by (just around the corner of the
barn where you can watch.....I can be within 20' of the horse and be hidden
at my place) just in case there is trouble.  But, I've never had trouble
when doing it this way.  How many times you have to tie with the Be-Nice
halter depends entirely on the individual.  I used the Be-Nice every time I
tied the horse for grooming or whatever for about a month.  Then, we
graduated to a rope halter for a couple months and then to a regular
"Hamilton" type halter.  He never pulled again.  This guy was breaking all
of my lead ropes and halters before.  And, flipped himself over at the
trailer one time that we tied with a rope halter (before the Be-Nice
training) when he couldn't break the fittings.  That is what spurred me to
get the Be-Nice and get him trained to stand.  The chiro work I had to pay
for after him flipping himself over was quite expensive and extensive!

For the ones that paw, I use a similar technique.  I tie them really short
at head height.  Then, I grab a bucket of small rocks and stand around the
corner.  Every time they paw I throw (under handed.........the purpose is
not to hurt them) a rock and hit their rump or shoulder.  This may not be
the quickest method, but it does work.  But, you have to be consistent.
And, you need to set up the situation yourself several times so that you are
prepared to chuck the rocks at them with the very first pawing.