Re: [RC] Horrible accident - why? electric fences - Lysane Cree

I agree that there are some ways to strategically place your trailer to try to protect your own horse as much as possible from other runaway horses...o.k., so my horse is safe and maybe that is all I should be concerned with... but those loose horses barrelling through camp have all kinds of things they could flip and trip over that they might not see in their haste....tent strings, water or muck buckets, etc. Some places will have camp in a field that can then be "contained" by closing a gate at night, but that's not possible everywhere. It certainly is the responsibility of the horse owner to contain their horse adequately so as not to be a danger to itself or others...Who do you think is generally responsible when a loose horse is hit by a vehicle?

Lysane

Kristi Schaaf <iluvdez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As a rider who cut my 'distance' teeth on NATRC, I
gotta chime in with Karen. At NATRC rides, all I saw
were content horses tied to trailers. They comfortably
laid down, ate, and drank (my talented horse could
actually roll while tied). Then I started going to
endurance rides and saw lots of electric pens. I also
started hearing all the stories of horses running
through their fences, of other horses running through
their fences, etc, like it was the expected norm! I'm
really curious - if horses escaping out of pens is so
commonplace, and the possible outcome SO horrendous,
why are so many people comfortable doing it? I'm not
judging anyone - it just seems like a risk that isn't
worth the benefits. Kristi (who has found nirvana with
Hi-ties)

Life's a journey, so enjoy the ride (and try not to fall off)

http://mail.yahoo.com